Air ducts are one of those parts of our homes that we all take for granted. However, cleaning out your air ducts every once in a while can significantly improve your comfort in your home by reducing dust and allergens. How often you should clean your ducts depends on your lifestyle, your home, and a few other factors.
How Often Should You Clean Your Air Ducts?
In new homes with no pets and no one with allergies, you can get away with cleaning your air ducts only once every three to five years. However, your home may need more frequent, even yearly air duct cleaning if:
- You have pets
- You live in an older home (which creates more dust)
- You live with someone who has allergies (even if they are seasonal allergies)
- You live with someone who has a respiratory illness (from asthma to COPD)
- You live with someone who smokes
Many people with allergies choose to get the air ducts cleaned just after their allergy season is over so that the allergen doesn’t stick around. Those who have their elderly parents live with them for long periods during the year usually get their air ducts cleaned before their parents arrive.
Signs You Should Clean Your Air Ducts
What if you can’t remember the last time you cleaned your air ducts? In such instances, you can check your home for signs that you may need an air duct cleaning. These signs include:
- Increasing amounts of dust in the home
- Increasing dust or pet hair around the registers
- Someone you live with has worse allergies than normal
- Someone you live with has more respiratory discomfort than usual
While homeowners usually just need dust, allergens and other small debris cleaned out of their ducts, occasionally they find something much larger – from forgotten treats their dog dropped into the vent, to animals living in them. If you have a bigger air duct problem, you might experience these symptoms:
- Unusual smells in the home that get worse
- The sound of scurrying animals through the vents
- Loose or broken registers
- Something visibly stuck in the air ducts
If so, you may need to call in a pest professional to clean out and sanitize your air ducts.
Schedule Your Air Duct Cleaning Now
Now that you know when you should have your next air duct cleaning, it’s a wise idea to schedule it before you forget. For all of your HVAC needs, including air duct cleanings, contact Anchor ClimateCare today!